EAST LAWNDALE CIVIC ASSOCIATION

Home | Public Notice Parking in Yard | East End Chamber of Commerce | Pictures of Members | History of Forest Hill | MAP of ELCA | Meetings | Membership | Important Information | Action Items for our Elected Mayor & City Council Member | Important Links | Permitting & Architectural Restrictions | Officers & Board Members | Mason Park | Have any Community Bulletins? | Fun Things | Useful Phone Numbers
History of Forest Hill

This home was built in 1927

house.jpg

Forest Hill was planned in 1910 by the Kansas City landscape architects Hare & Hare as the first subdivision in Houston with a curvilinear street plan. Forest Hill was laid out across Brays Bayou from what was then Houston Country Club (now Gus S. Wortham Park).

 

After the Depression of 1929 home construction came to a halt until the late 30s and after 1945. Many of these smaller pre-war homes in the Forest Hill addition of the ELCA have 200 ft. deep lots, which would be great for new home construction.

 

Forest Hill has three of the remaining homes built before 1920.

 

1766 Pasadena Avenue was one of three large houses built there, built in 1911 and designed by Lang & Witchell, the same firm who designed the Harris County Court House.

1724 Alta Vista Avenue was built in 1912 and designed by the architect W. A. Cooke. The home was designed as an expansive Mission bungalow, faced with stucco and red roof tiles.

 

1706 Alta Vista built around 1920 for Jesse Jones, a prominent city leader.

 

The House pictured above, built in 1927 is one of the few that have actually gone through the needed period renovation and landscaping of the time.

 

In 1937, Houston's largest and only lighted fountain was at Forest Park Cemetery -- (cars) loads of sightseers drove nightly to see its beauty.

Edit Text